Title

Sometimes the moments we feel most lost are the ones in which we find ourselves

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Day of Rest

I have worked out 11 of the last 12 days. The “easiest” of those 11 workouts was a two mile run.


Reading those two sentences blows my mind. If I continue as I am supposed to, I will have worked out 26 of the 31 days in January and that was even with a slow start the first week. To some, this way seem like a lot. To others it might seem normal. To me, it just feels good. When I workout on a regular basis, the days that I rest feel like a reward instead of something I should feel guilty about. When I go for 3 days without a workout, it is too easy for me to make an excuse not to go on the 4th or 5th day and it becomes a lazy week or lazy month or worse. So while it feels like a lot, I think this is the best thing I could have done for myself. I am not sure that I am going to continue going 5 days a week to my gym forever, but I know I am not at the point where I can do it on my own and still get the results I want.


The downside to this is that my body hurts. No lie. Last Friday I was beat and went to bed about 9 o’clock. Today, more muscles in my body hurt than I care to count, muscles that I don’t even recall using. My calves are on fire, the back of my knees pinch every time I walk, and there is something funky going on my back that is a mix between an ache and a throb. But you know what? All that tells me is that I am working hard. Nothing is unbearable and hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow. But it always surprises me that I can continue to be sore after doing this for so long. People say “I have done aerobics for 6 months so I don’t get sore.” That just means you are working the same things over and over and your muscles are used to it. Crossfit always mixes it up so your brain and your body never know what they are in for.

No comments: