Title

Sometimes the moments we feel most lost are the ones in which we find ourselves

Thursday, February 26, 2009

5K Fun!

I cannot believe that I didn’t blog about my 5k this weekend! I am training for a triathlon in May. Part of the things I am most worried about is making it through a run after a swim and a bike. Running is not my strong suit and I struggle with increasing my stamina and endurance. So this past weekend I signed up for a 5k just to see where I stood with my running.

It was a cold and windy day in Barton Creek, which is a particularly hilly part of town. I really wasn’t looking forward to the run, but I new it was something I had to do. The last 5k I did when I was in 3rd grade and my mom and I walked the whole thing. That should tell you how small a role running has played in my life! Before I began, I told myself to make it throughthe first mile without stopping, then see how I felt. Well I ran the first 2 miles, then got to a huge hill, which was a struggle just to walk up, and then ran the rest of the way. So I would say I ran 95% of the way and came in just over 32 minutes. SO even with a little bit of walking in there, I still averaged 10 minute miles. Running a steady 10 minute mile was one of my goals for I am Crossfit. On the treadmill, I tend to be able to run a lot longer then I can “on the streets,” but I run slower. I usually run a 12 minute mile on the treadmill. So 10 minutes was great for me. I ran faster and longer than usual and I finished well under my “acceptable” time.

I guess it goes to show what you can accomplish when you stop your mind from telling your body that you can’t.

No comments: